🤔 What are superfoods?
Superfoods are nutrient-dense foods that are recognised for providing high concentrations of nutrients, such as vitamins and minerals, which are essential for optimal health and vitality.
⏰ When is the best time to eat superfoods?
Integrating superfoods into your breakfast routine is an easy way to increase your daily intake of essential vitamins and minerals through wholefoods, without relying on supplementation.
The trick to building a nutrient dense and nutritionally balanced breakfast is knowing how to combine your superfoods. If you're familiar with superfoods for smoothies but want to try new ways to incorporate superfoods into your most important meal of the day, Craft Breakfast's pre-portioned Superfood Breakfast Pouches blend optimal combinations of superfoods with premium freeze-dried New Zealand fruit and organic oats. You can learn more about the list of superfoods you can expect in your Craft Breakfast pouches below.
These Superfood Breakfast Pouches are delivered direct to your door, so you can craft our healthy breakfast recipes at home and get a varied nutrient boost every day. Find out what to expect in a Superfood Breakfast Box from Craft Breakfast.
🌈 What are the best superfoods?
Whether you want to increase your intake of disease-fighting antioxidants, support your gut health, get more energy, improve your skin health or boost your intake of plant-based protein, we carefully combine the right superfoods to help achieve your health goals. Here's a list of the superfoods that you can expect in your Craft Breakfast recipes to help support everyday health and vitality.
Hailing from the Amazon Rainforest, acai berries are world-renowned superfoods for their powerful antioxidant content.
Acai Health Benefits:
- Contains amino acids which help support energy production, endurance and strength
- Naturally high in essential fatty acids which can support a healthy heart
- As one of the world’s highest ORAC foods, acai can help prevent free radical damage and reduce the signs of ageing
- Contains as much vitamin C as blueberries, as well as vitamins A, B1, B2, B3 and E
- Low in sugar and loaded with minerals, including iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc and copper
Try acai in our ACAI BERRY GLOW Superfood Breakfast
2. Hemp Seeds
Hemp seeds are widely regarded as the world’s most nutritious seeds because they’re a rich source of heart-healthy fatty acids, plant-based protein, as well as essential vitamins and minerals.
Hemp Seed Health Benefits:
- One of the world's best sources of plant-based protein - one tablespoon of hemp seeds contains almost 10 grams of protein
- Unlike most other sources of plant-based protein, hemps seeds contain the nine essential amino acids that the body requires to build proteins
- Hemp seeds have the best ratio of omega-6 to omega 6s of any plant-based food which is considered the optimal proportion for optimal human nutritional benefits
- The protein combined with the fatty acid content in hemp seeds could help increase satiety and reduce appetite, therefore reducing food intake and promoting healthy weight management
- Rich source of vitamin E, which is one of the most important antioxidants and can help slow down the processes that damage cells
- Good source of other vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, magnesium, sulphur, calcium, iron and zinc
Try hemp seeds in any of our Superfood Breakfast options
Native to South America, maca is praised for enhancing energy levels, mental clarity and sex drive.
Maca Health Benefits:
- Considered an “adaptogen” because it can help the body adapt to stressful scenarios like a busy schedule or a demanding job
- Supports healthy hormone balance in both men and women
- Contains amino acids, phytonutrients, fatty acids, vitamins and minerals
- Packed with bio-available plant protein that's easy for the body to digest
- Contains a higher concentration of calcium than milk
Try maca in our CACAO MACA ENERGISER Superfood Breakfast
Referred to as the ‘Gold of the Incas’, lucuma is a nutrient-dense super fruit harvested in Peru with a caramel, maple-like flavour.
Lucuma Health Benefits:
- Loaded with antioxidants which can help protect your immunity by fighting disease-causing fight free radicals
- Rich source of beta-carotene, an antioxidant which our body requires for making vitamin A and supporting a healthy-functioning immune system
- Low Glycemic Index (GI) which helps regulate blood sugar levels, meaning your body stays fuelled for longer
- Natural source minerals like zinc, iron, calcium, as well as essential vitamins, such as vitamin C and vitamin B3
- As a healthy source of fibre, lucuma promotes good digestion and bowel health
Try lucuma in our SALTED CARAMEL PROTEIN Superfood Breakfast
Cacao is the purest and rawest form of chocolate you can get your hands on, so it’s packed with the beneficial antioxidants which are lost in the processing of cocoa.
Cacao Health Benefits:
- Rich in antioxidants which help protect the body from cell damage and fight disease
- One of the richest sources of plant-based iron
- Good source of magnesium which is beneficial for a healthy heart and brain
- Also contains the minerals manganese, potassium and copper
- Contains mood-boosting properties
Try cacao in our CACAO MACA ENERGISER Superfood Breakfast
Loaded with vitamins and minerals with a delicious creamy texture, cashews are a tasty super nut has been linked to effective weight management and enhanced heart health.
Cashew Health Benefits:
- Rich in magnesium which supports healthy muscle and nerve function
- Good source of copper which plays an important role in the body's utilisation of iron
- Concentrated with other beneficial minerals, including phosphorus, manganese and zinc
- High in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats
Try cashews in any of our Superfood Breakfast options
7. Chia Seeds
With a subtle nutty flavour, chia seeds can give any meal a notable nutritional boost without overpowering the other ingredients. Not only are chia seeds a fantastic source of plant-based protein and calcium, they're also rich in omega-3 fatty acids which are key for promoting optimal health and vitality.
Chia Seeds Health Benefits:
- Rich source of omega-3 fatty acids which are beneficial for heart and brain health
- Good source of the essential minerals; calcium, manganese, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus
- High in plant-based protein and in dietary fibre which can support healthy weight management
- Rich in antioxidants which can help reduce the signs of ageing
Try chia seeds in any of our Superfood Breakfast options
Like acai berries, blackcurrants also contain health-boosting anthocyanins, the compound that gives these super berries their rich purple colour.
Blackcurrant Health Benefits
- Blackcurrants are a rich source of vitamin C with up to four times more vitamin C than oranges and double the amount of antioxidants as blueberries
- Anthocyanins in blackcurrants have incredibly strong antioxidant activity and can help strengthen your immune system
- Research has shown that blackcurrants can help improve eyesight, blood circulation, exercise recovery and mental clarity
Try blackcurrants in our ACAI BERRY GLOW Superfood Breakfast
Coconut adds a nutritious and satisfying boost to breakfast thanks to its high fibre content, antioxidants and nutrient-dense fats.
Coconut Health Benefits
- Rich in nutrient-dense fats for sustained energy to keep you fuller for longer
- Contains lauric acid, the medium-chain fatty acid, which supports healthy immune function and digestive health
- Contains antimicrobial properties which are beneficial for gut health
Try coconut in any of our Superfood Breakfast options
Cherished for its medicinal properties for thousands of years, cinnamon is a delicious super spice that adds a delicately warming and mildly sweet flavour. We use organic Ceylon cinnamon (aka 'True Cinnamon') in Superfood Breakfasts. This is derived from the inner bark of the plant Cinnamomum verum - which is unlike the cinnamon you’ll find in most supermarkets.
Cinnamon Health Benefits:
- Cinnamon contains potent antioxidants, such as polyphenols, which protect your body from oxidative damage caused by free radicals
- The antioxidants in cinnamon have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help lower your risk of certain diseases
- Cinnamon has been shown to significantly increase sensitivity to insulin, which can help lower blood sugar levels
- Cinnamaldehyde, one of the main active components of cinnamon, has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties and may help fight infection
Try cinnamon in our ACAI BERRY GLOW Superfood Breakfast
Crafted from the dried pods of the North American mesquite tree, our ground mesquite powder is a low GI, nutrient-dense superfood with a sweet, slightly nutty and caramel-like flavour.
What are the health benefits of mesquite?
- Mesquite is a good source of iron which is critical for supporting healthy red blood cell production to help prevent anemia
- Rich in calcium which is critical for bone health
- As a source of magnesium, mesquite supports efficient enzyme production, relaxation and a healthy heart and brain
- Mesquite powder also contains zinc, which is essential for proper immune function to support a speedy recovery from illness
- Mesquite powder is rich in fibre which is key for a healthy digestion and maintaining a good gut flora profile
- Mesquite has a low glycemic index and therefore helps stabilise blood sugar levels
- High in plant-based protein and is an excellent source of the essential amino acid, lysine, which is the least abundant amino acid in plant foods
Try mesquite in our SALTED CARAMEL PROTEIN Superfood Breakfast